In today’s day and age, video conferencing software has become an essential tool for businesses and individuals alike. With the rise of remote work and the need for virtual meetings, the demand for high-quality video conferencing software has never been greater. As a result, there are now numerous options available on the market, each with its own unique set of features and benefits.
In this article, we will be exploring the 7 best video conferencing software, helping you to choose the right platform for your needs. Whether you’re a small business owner, a remote worker, or a large corporation, there is a video conferencing software platform out there that is perfect for your needs.
So, without further ado, let’s dive in and explore the best video conferencing software.
Table of Contents
What is Video Conferencing Software?
Video conferencing software is a technology that allows people to communicate in real-time through audio and video connections over the internet. This software enables users to connect and collaborate with others regardless of their physical location, making it a valuable tool for remote teams, telecommuters, and businesses with global operations.
Initially, video conferencing systems were proprietary, requiring specialized hardware and software that was costly and often limited to specific locations. However, advancements in technology have led to the development of cloud-based video conferencing services that require little dedicated infrastructure and are more affordable.
Modern video conferencing software is often hardware-agnostic, meaning it can work with any webcam or microphone, and some services are entirely browser-based, eliminating the need for a dedicated app. Many video conferencing platforms also offer a range of features beyond video and audio connections, including screen sharing, chat functions, file sharing, digital whiteboards, and even the ability to broadcast conferences to large groups of passive viewers.
In addition to these features, video conferencing software often integrates with other communication tools, such as business-geared voice-over-IP (VoIP) packages. This integration allows users to seamlessly switch between voice and video calls or initiate shared meetings without losing the original connection.
Overall, video conferencing software is a valuable tool for modern communication and collaboration. Its ability to connect people in real-time, regardless of their location, has revolutionized the way people work and interact, making it an essential tool for businesses and individuals alike.
What is the Best Video Conferencing Software?
Here are our top picks for the best video conferencing software.
1. Zoho Meeting
Zoho Meeting is a web conferencing platform that allows users to conduct online meetings from anywhere with features like real-time audio, video, screen sharing, and remote control access. It also offers the ability to record meetings and share them with employees who missed the meeting.
- Phone audio: join meetings through your phone in case of poor internet connections, with 55+ toll-free numbers and 100+ local numbers available.
- Private Meetings: lock confidential meetings to invite only the participants you want, and receive notifications when someone wants to enter your conference.
- In-Session Chat: use the chat tab available in all meeting sessions to send important messages or links.
- Zoho Meeting offers an organized and clean layout that is easy to navigate.
- The ability to see the presenter’s enlarged webcam preview is a standout feature, in addition to the other participants’ video tiles which are of a good size.
- The recording button is clear and easy to use, and the file-sharing options are straightforward and work quickly.
- Zoho Meeting offers a free edition that lets users host up to 5 participants with limited features.
- The Meeting Edition is priced at $3/host/mo and allows users to host up to 100 participants and store ten recordings.
- The Webinar Edition is priced at $16/host/mo and includes additional features for hosting webinars.
What I Like/Dislike About Zoho Meeting
- Can host up to 100 participants with 24 active video feeds displayed at a time.
- No need to download anything – start and join meetings directly.
- Offers a Google Chrome extension and iOS and Android apps.
- RSVP scheduling and chat support.
- Integration with Zoho calendar, CRM, Projects, etc.
- Occasional disconnections and slowdowns.
- Screen sharing can be a hassle because you have to go back and forth between the app and your browser window.
- Users can now create departments to keep teams organized.
- Share PDF files directly in the app for a quick and easy way to collaborate.
Get started with Zoho Meeting.
GoToMeeting is a popular video conferencing software that allows users to host and attend online meetings, webinars, and virtual conferences from anywhere with an internet connection. It offers a variety of features to help users collaborate and communicate effectively, such as screen sharing, recording, and drawing tools.
- Screen Sharing: You can share your entire screen or just a specific application window with other participants, making it easy to collaborate on projects and presentations.
- Recording: You can record your meetings, webinars, or conferences with just a click of a button. You can also save the recordings to your computer or the cloud and share them with other participants who missed the event.
- Drawing Tools: With GoToMeeting’s drawing tools, you can annotate and highlight important points in your presentations or documents, making it easier for other participants to follow along.
- Mobile App: GoToMeeting has a mobile app that allows users to attend meetings and webinars from their smartphones or tablets, making it easier to join and participate in events while on-the-go.
- Dial-In Audio: GoToMeeting offers dial-in audio for participants who are unable to use the internet for audio. This feature is especially useful for those who may have a poor internet connection or are traveling.
GoToMeeting’s interface is user-friendly and easy to navigate. It has a simple layout with all the necessary tools readily available. The video and audio quality is also reliable, providing a seamless meeting experience.
GoToMeeting offers three different plans: Professional, Business, and Enterprise.
- Professional: $12/host/month (150 participants)
- Business: $16/host/month (250 participants)
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing (up to 3000 participants)
What I Like/Dislike About GoToMeeting
- Easy to use and navigate
- Reliable video and audio quality
- Dial-in audio feature
- Mobile app available
- Drawing tools for annotations and highlighting
- Limited features on the lower-priced plans
- Higher cost compared to some competitors
- Occasional lags or technical issues
GoToMeeting frequently updates its software to improve the user experience and add new features. Some recent updates include:
- Improved screen sharing capabilities
- Enhanced mobile app features
- Added drawing tools for annotations
- Improved integration with other software and applications
Overall, GoToMeeting is a reliable and user-friendly video conferencing software that offers a variety of useful features. While it may be more expensive than some competitors, it is a great option for businesses and organizations that require a reliable and comprehensive video conferencing solution.
Get started with a 14-day free trial of GoToMeeting.
RingCentral is a cloud-based communication and collaboration platform that offers video conferencing, team messaging, and business phone services. It aims to provide a unified solution for remote teams to communicate and collaborate from anywhere.
- Video Conferencing – Host virtual meetings with up to 500 participants, share screens, record meetings, and use virtual backgrounds.
- Team Messaging – Communicate with teams and individuals through one-on-one chats or group conversations. Use GIFs, emojis, and file sharing to enhance conversations.
- Business Phone – Get a complete cloud-based phone system with advanced features like call forwarding, IVR, and call routing. Use the mobile app to make and receive calls on the go.
- The interface of RingCentral is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
- The platform offers a mobile app for iOS and Android, making it convenient to use on-the-go.
- The mobile app provides features like one-touch calling, call recording, and voicemail transcription.
RingCentral provides four pricing plans for its services.
- Essentials: $19.99/user/month
- Standard: $27.99/user/month
- Premium: $34.99/user/month
- Ultimate: $49.99/user/month
Each plan includes different features and services, with the Essentials plan to provide basic features and the Ultimate plan offering advanced features like device status reports and unlimited storage.
What I Like/Dislike About RingCentral
- Integrations with popular apps like Google Workspace and Microsoft Office.
- Offers a complete cloud-based phone system with advanced features.
- Easy-to-use mobile app for iOS and Android.
- Virtual background options for video conferencing.
- The pricing can be expensive for smaller businesses.
- Some features, like call recording, are only available on higher-priced plans.
RingCentral is constantly updating its platform to improve its features and user experience. Recent updates include improvements to video conferencing, enhanced integrations with other apps, and updates to the mobile app.
Get started with RingCentral.
Zoom is a popular video conferencing software that allows people to hold meetings, webinars, and virtual events with people from anywhere in the world. It offers various features like screen sharing, virtual backgrounds, breakout rooms, and recording capabilities.
- Screen Sharing: Share your screen with participants in real-time, making it easy to collaborate on documents, presentations, or other materials.
- Virtual Backgrounds: Add a virtual background to your video feed, allowing you to change your background to a picture or video.
- Breakout Rooms: Split participants into smaller groups, allowing for more focused discussions and collaboration.
- Recording: Record your meetings or webinars for future reference or to share with those who missed the event.
- Annotation: Annotate documents or images shared during a meeting or webinar, making it easier to collaborate and take notes.
Zoom’s user interface is intuitive and easy to use, with simple controls and clear visuals. The platform is accessible via desktop, web browser, and mobile devices, making it easy to join meetings from anywhere.
Zoom offers several pricing plans, including a free basic plan that allows for up to 100 participants with a 40-minute time limit on group meetings. Paid plans start at $14.99/month/host for the Pro plan, which includes features like cloud recording, reporting, and user management.
What I Like/Dislike About Zoom
- Easy to use and intuitive interface.
- Large number of participants can join.
- Screen sharing is simple and fast.
- Virtual backgrounds add fun to meetings.
- Breakout rooms are very helpful for team collaboration.
- The free version has a 40-minute time limit on group meetings.
- Security concerns in the past have raised concerns about privacy.
- The paid plans can be costly for smaller businesses.
Zoom regularly updates its platform with new features and improvements, including enhanced security measures and integrations with third-party apps. Recent updates include the ability to customize video layouts and improved noise suppression technology.
Overall, Zoom is a powerful video conferencing tool that offers a wide range of features for individuals and businesses of all sizes. With a focus on ease of use and accessibility, Zoom has become a popular choice for virtual meetings and events.
JoinMe is a web-based conferencing software that allows users to collaborate and share information with others remotely. It provides users with a simple and easy-to-use interface that makes it easy to join and host meetings. JoinMe offers a range of features that make online meetings and collaborations more effective.
- Screen sharing: With JoinMe, users can share their screens with other participants, making it easy to present documents, slideshows, and other materials.
- Video conferencing: JoinMe allows users to have video conferences with high-quality video and audio.
- Whiteboarding: JoinMe provides users with a virtual whiteboard where they can share and collaborate on ideas.
- Recording: Users can record their meetings and share them with others who were unable to attend.
- Mobile apps: JoinMe has mobile apps for iOS and Android, making it easy to join meetings on the go.
JoinMe provides users with a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to join and host meetings. The app is easy to install and set up, and joining a meeting is as simple as clicking a link. The video and audio quality are both excellent, and the screen sharing feature works smoothly.
JoinMe offers a range of pricing plans to suit different needs, including a free plan that allows users to host meetings with up to three participants. The paid plans offer additional features, such as the ability to host meetings with more participants, and advanced reporting and analytics.
What I Like/Dislike About JoinMe
- The interface is easy to use and intuitive.
- JoinMe provides high-quality video and audio.
- The mobile apps make it easy to join meetings on the go.
- The free plan allows users to host meetings with up to three participants.
- The free plan has limited features.
- Some users have reported issues with mobile apps.
JoinMe regularly updates its product to add new features and improve its performance. Some recent updates include improved screen sharing and the ability to blur your background during video calls.
Overall, JoinMe is a reliable and easy-to-use conferencing software that offers a range of useful features. Its simple interface and mobile apps make it a popular choice for remote teams and individuals who need to collaborate and share information online.
6. Google Hangouts Meet
Google Hangouts Meet is a video conferencing platform designed by Google that allows you to easily connect with colleagues, team members, or clients from anywhere in the world.
- Real-time video and audio conferencing
- Screen sharing for easy collaboration
- Integration with Google Calendar for scheduling meetings
- Join meetings from any device with an internet connection
- Record meetings and save them to Google Drive
- Support for up to 250 participants in one meeting
- Ability to join meetings using a dial-in phone number
- Option to livestream meetings to a larger audience
- Google Hangouts Meet offers a simple and easy-to-use interface with all the necessary features easily accessible.
- The video and audio quality is generally good, with minimal lag or delay.
- The screen sharing feature works well and is especially useful for collaboration on projects.
- The integration with Google Calendar makes scheduling meetings a breeze, and the ability to join from any device with an internet connection is convenient.
Google Hangouts Meet is available as part of the Google Workspace suite of tools, which offers various pricing plans depending on your business needs.
What I Like/Dislike About Google Hangouts Meet
- Integration with Google Workspace tools like Calendar and Drive
- Ability to join meetings from any device
- Easy-to-use interface
- Livestreaming option for larger audiences
- Limited features compared to some other video conferencing platforms
- Requires a Google Workspace subscription to access advanced features
- Occasionally experiences technical issues and glitches
- In 2020, Google Meet added virtual backgrounds and noise-cancellation features to improve the user experience.
- Google has also implemented several security measures, such as end-to-end encryption for one-on-one calls and the ability to block anonymous users from joining meetings.
Overall, Google Hangouts Meet is a solid choice for businesses already using Google Workspace and looking for a simple, easy-to-use video conferencing solution.
7. Microsoft Skype for Business
Microsoft Skype for Business is a video conferencing software that provides businesses with a platform to connect and collaborate with colleagues and clients in real-time. It offers features such as HD video conferencing, instant messaging, file sharing, and screen sharing.
- HD Video Conferencing: With Skype for Business, you can have high-quality video conferencing with up to 250 participants at once.
- Instant Messaging: You can send and receive instant messages with your contacts and even see their availability status.
- File Sharing: Share files with your colleagues during a video conference for easy collaboration.
- Screen Sharing: Share your screen with your colleagues during a video conference to collaborate on documents or presentations.
- Integration with Office 365: Skype for Business integrates with Office 365 to provide a seamless collaboration experience.
Skype for Business offers a user-friendly interface, making it easy to navigate through the platform’s features. The software allows users to easily schedule meetings, join meetings, and share files during a meeting.
Skype for Business is available as part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications. The pricing for Office 365 starts at $5 per user per month for the Business Basic plan, and goes up to $35 per user per month for the Enterprise E5 plan.
What I Like/Dislike About Skype for Business
- The integration with Office 365 provides a seamless collaboration experience.
- The software is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
- The ability to have high-quality video conferencing with up to 250 participants is a great feature.
- The software can be resource-intensive, which can cause performance issues on older or less powerful machines.
- Some users have reported connectivity issues, particularly when using the software on a slow or unreliable internet connection.
Microsoft has announced that Skype for Business will be replaced by Microsoft Teams, a collaboration platform that provides more advanced features such as chat, file sharing, and project management.
Get started with Skype for Business by signing up for a Microsoft Office 365 subscription.
How we tested the best video conferencing software
To determine the best video conferencing software, we conducted extensive research and analysis of various platforms. Here’s our approach:
- Identified top-rated video conferencing software: We started by identifying the most popular and highly rated video conferencing software currently available in the market.
- Evaluated features: We then evaluated the features and functionalities offered by each platform, including audio and video quality, screen sharing options, file sharing, recording capabilities, ease of use, and security.
- User experience: We tested each platform’s user experience, including the quality of the user interface, ease of navigation, and overall user-friendliness.
- Customer support: We evaluated the quality and availability of customer support, including phone, email, and chat support, as well as knowledge base and user forums.
- Pricing: We reviewed the pricing plans offered by each platform, including free and paid options, and compared them to their features.
- User reviews: We analyzed user reviews and ratings from various online platforms, including third-party review sites and app stores, to get a sense of customer satisfaction and feedback.
Based on our research and analysis, we compiled a list of the best video conferencing software and ranked them according to their features, ease of use, customer support, pricing, and overall user experience.
Which video conferencing software is best for you?
Choosing the best video conferencing software depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some factors to consider include the size of your meetings, the level of security you require, the features you need, and your budget.
If you need a simple and straightforward solution, then Zoom or Skype may be a good fit for you. They are easy to use and offer a range of features that cater to small to large-scale meetings.
If you’re looking for a more secure option, then Microsoft Teams or Cisco Webex may be a better choice. They offer enhanced security features and compliance certifications, making them suitable for businesses with strict security requirements.
If you need a solution that integrates well with other software, then RingCentral or Zoho Meeting may be the right choice for you. They offer integration with other apps, such as CRM or project management tools, making it easier to manage your work processes.
Ultimately, the best video conferencing software for you depends on your unique needs and preferences. It’s important to consider all factors and do some research before making a final decision.
Video conferencing has become an essential tool for remote work, distance learning, and virtual meetings. The best video conferencing software must be user-friendly, reliable, and secure to ensure that all participants can easily connect and collaborate.
Our evaluation of the seven popular video conferencing software has shown that each has its unique features and limitations. However, Zoom and Microsoft Teams are the most popular and widely used video conferencing tools, while RingCentral and Google Hangouts Meet offer the best integration with other business applications. Zoho Meeting, GoToMeeting, and JoinMe also offer excellent features and pricing plans suitable for small to medium-sized businesses.
When selecting the best video conferencing software for your organization, consider the features that are most important to you, including the number of participants, screen sharing, recording, and integration with other business applications. It is also essential to consider the pricing plans and the level of security offered by the software.
With the right video conferencing software, you can improve communication, productivity, and collaboration in your organization, no matter where your team members are located.